Monday, February 18, 2013

Carrot Lab


In this experiment I used two jars with 2 cups of  fresh water, one of the jars had a teaspoon of salt added.  I also took a carrot and cut it in half.  I used a string to tie both pieces of carrots before placing in water.

Initial length and with of the carrot pieces:

Piece 1  5 inches X 1 1/4

Piece 2  3 inches X 1/2 (salt water)

I left the carrots in the fresh water for 24 hours.  I predicted the carrot in the salt solution would swell and the carrot in the water without salt would shrink up.  I also predicted that osmosis would play a role in the salt water carrot.


The carrot that was left in the salt water was loose, and the string came off right away with no help at all.

After-experiment length and width of carrot pieces:

Piece 1  5 1/2  X  3/4

Piece 2  2 1/8 X  7/8

After 24 hours I removed each carrot from the water, the first observation I noticed was the carrot in the salt solution floated, and the one in th fresh water sunk to the bottom of the jar.  This was due to the hypertonic solution (salt water).

The other observation I noticed when the carrots were taken out of th water, were the strings.  The string in the water solution was tight and still attached to the carrot.  The carrot in the salt water string, just fell off when taken out. 

My predictions were incorrect, as the salt carrot actually shrunk in width, while the fresh water carrot remained the same.


                                                   Fresh Water Carrot       Salt Water Carrot
                                                  Fresh Water Carrot           Salt Water Carrot


No comments:

Post a Comment