Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Unit Paper 3



What is hemophilia?   Hemophilia is a collective term for several different hereditary bleeding disorders with similar symptoms.  Hemophilia is cause by a deficiency of one or more clotting factors.  I chose this topic because I was interested in what caused this type of disorder.  I do not know anyone personally affected by this, but I have heard how something as a minor scratch can cause such trauma to a human body.  This disorder is also caused by the third stage of hemostasis, which is stoppage of bleeding or of the circulation of blood to a part.
   
   
 
Hemophilia is a lifelong disease and is inherited from one of your parents and passed on to you as a carrier.  There are many types of hemophilia, there are two types of hemophilia, type A & B.  This is a lifelong disease, but with proper treatment, it can be maintained and live decent lives. Some signs and symptoms of hemophilia may include large bruises, joint swelling caused by internal bleeding, excessive and prolonged bleeding and tightness in joints.  What I found interesting was that a simple tooth extraction may cause excessive bleeding in a hemophiliac.  Emergency signs and symptoms can be a simple headache that is painful and last a long time, excessive vomiting as well as fatigue can play a factor in hemophiliacs. My suggestions are to pay attention to your body and visit a physician if you experience any severe medical illnesses.
You should avoid aspirin and any anti-inflammatory agents such as Advil as they interfere with blood clotting.  It is also a good idea to eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water, if a cut arises, keep pressure on the sight that is bleeding. You must also pay attention to internal bleeding as well and call or visit an emergency room in a case of any significant trauma.
“Sources”
                Hemophilia, authors, Mayo Clinic Staff
                April 17, 2013

                Hemophilia, authors Troy S Cutler, MD
                April 17, 2013


1.        What one assignment or activity you performed in this unit are you the most proud of?                I enjoyed the tissue exercise; I learned a lot from that chapter and was able to understand the information.

2.       Why did you enroll in this biology class?
I enrolled in this class as it was my last class to fulfill my accounting degree. 

3.       Did you feel prepared for this experience when you registered?
No, I was extremely intimidated about taking this class, I am a math person; I have never been interested in Science.  I was scared at first, but you made the class interesting and easy to communicate my concerns and frustrations.

4.       How was your experience different from your expectations?
My experience was enjoyable from my beginning expectations.  My first test I performed badly, and was ready to give up and drop the class.  I am glad I stuck it out, it turned out that we use science in our everyday life and it’s not such a bad subject.   I admit, I hated and struggled in some of the lessons, but mostly enjoyed the challenge.
5.       What can I do to help you?
You were open and communicated well via emails and short videos…you also provided lots of help, and encouraged us to get the extra help.  I think you did a great job in preparing us for your tests, it was so nice to know that we could submit our answers prior to test taking and you would respond with suggestions.


1 comment:

  1. What an interesting paper. Thanks for a concise description of hemophilia and I also appreciate your feedback.

    ReplyDelete