Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Discussion 3

Pneumonia

  
 Pneumonia is a disease caused by streptococcus pneumonia bacteria.  It is a leading cause of vaccine-preventable illness and death in the United States.  People 65 years and older, and the very young are most at risk.  Pneumonia disease can lead to serious infection of the lungs, blood, and covering of the brain also known as meningitis. This disease kills about 1 out of 20 people who get it.  There is a vaccination available for this disease (PPSV), but it is mostly used for elderly and the young.  This vaccination protects against 23 types of pneumococcal bacteria.
 I chose this topic as I was diagnosed with this in December.  I started out with a sore throat and it then turned into bronchitis, then into Pneumonia.  I was sick for 8 days until I ended up in the hospital for 4 days.  I felt fatigued and shortness of breath, my heart rate was over 150 and the doctors were afraid I would have a heart attack.  I was put on an antibiotic treatment for 4 days; also I had breathing treatments every 4 hours.  This knocked my immune system out of whack for over a month. 
Bacteria are single celled organisms.  They draw their energy and raw material from their environment.   Diagnostic tools include x-rays and examination of the sputum.  There are several treatments to treat this disease; it depends on the cause of pneumonia.  Bacterial pneumonia is treated with antibiotics.
Sepsis is a condition in which the body is fighting a severe infection that has spread to the bloodstream.  If a patient becomes “septic” they will have low blood pressure leading to poor circulation and lack of perfusion of vital tissues and organs.  When the infection is in the bloodstream and your immune system is in shock, it can sometimes lead to death and/or may take a long time to overcome the disease and return to your normal health.
“Sources”
Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine, What you need to know, authors, CDC
April 24, 2013

Science Reference, authors Dan Hogan and Michele Hogan
April 24, 2013

Sepsis (Blood Infection), author, Jerry R. Balentine, DO, FACEP
April 24, 2013




1 comment:

  1. I remember you telling me about your illness. I did not realize 1/20 died from pneumonia. Wow!

    ReplyDelete